What's up Buttercup?

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My thoughts on tag sales...

For those of us who have tag sales (myself included) to make some extra money... I pity you.

My neighborhood had a tag sale last weekend. Dave and I "made" (for the sake of my bad math skills.. let's round up to an even number) $300.

Now... let's be realistic. We spent from 9-4 outside in the sweltering heat. If we made $300 that would be an average of about $42 an hour. Not bad. Even if it was REALLY hot.

Divide that by the number of people that were outside "selling" which was about 2 per hour. So now we're at $21 an hour. Okay... not horrible.

But still there was prep time. Hours spent gathering junk. A room in my house dedicated to be the "tag sale stuff room" for an entire season...embarrassing moments when guests came to my house and saw the "tag sale room stuff" filled with tag sale stuff a/k/a junk...There were the "no kiss goodnight" nights filled with fights over what I consider fit for sale and what my husband (love you too!) considers collectible. There was the broken license plate brackets for when I pulled into the garage and hit the "collectibles" I hid in the garage..because the"tag sale room stuff" pile got to be too much that you couldn't see the floor...

Get the picture?

Then after the tagsale we have to clean up... throw away all the "collectibles" that no one wanted to buy - another hour or two of labor... then feed the babysitters....which means about $200 at the grocery store.

So I don't think we really gained anything... except for a sunburn... some tired feet and more "collectibles" from another neighbor's tag sale.

Where is the logic in this?

Cheers, S.

1 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Blogger Liz said...

But tagsales are a right of homeowners. Don't take them away from us. P.S. Let me know when your next one is...i need more 'collectibles' in my house :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home