The story of Uncle Hy...
Every family has weird traditions... Some are downright obscure to outsiders. I think my family has one like that...
My mother's family has a belief that one of my great Uncles has a power far greater than mother nature. You want rain... he'll give you rain (WHY!)...if you want sunshine...all you have to do is ask Uncle Hy.
How this started is still somewhat of a mystery...some of my mom's cousins said it started at the beach when they wanted good weather and Uncle Hy just said "Have faith it will be nice..." and it was... and wallah...
This tradition continues to this day and there is now a 4th generation of believers in Uncle Hy's "almighty" power. Jocelyn wrote this poem this a.m;
I hear different stories on every TV
About what tomorrow's weather will be.
Some say storms... some say haze
I think those weatherman are in a deep daze!
Uncle Hy will listen, because I said please twice
Not to have sunshine tomorrow wouldn't be very nice!
So have faith in UHF cuz he knows the plan
That's why we count on him as our sunshine man!
For example, remember my trip to Richmond? It was supposed to rain. I asked Uncle Hy (who is in heaven now) for good weather and while the weathermen said it was raining -- I came home with a great tan. It was gorgeous.
He's never let it rain on Jocelyn's bday YET - and I have faith he won't let it rain this year.
I know it's a lot to ask considering the crappy weather we've been having all summer... but I was hoping he could let us have a few good hours tomorrow afternoon for a summer barbeque. I usually have at least 2 by now and so far I've had zip.
So let's all have faith that the rest of this summer is warm and sunny - cuz so far... it sucks!
Cheers,
S.
Edited 7-4-06: God let it pour at 12:00. Uncle Hy stopped that nonsense at 12:58... 2 minutes before my barebeque began - despite the weathermen's predictions for a stormy afternoon. What do they know! Thank you again, Uncle Hy...now let's focus on making August 26th a bright, sunny and hot day for the 3rd year in a row!

1 Comments:
Well, he pretty much gave you what you wanted today too. Big storm predictions for the afternoon, but the skies cleared over us by 3pm.
Post a Comment
<< Home