What's up Buttercup?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Papa's Place

I'm officially letting the cat out of the bag. I can't keep secrets...But first, I must ramble for a moment...

My family and I used to always take vacations to Florida to visit my grandparents. Of course, that was before they moved north to be closer to us. Grandma and Papa have been sending me plane tickets for as long as I can remember - probably since I was about 10 years old... correct me if I'm wrong.

Their latest house in Florida had the coolest window seat (see photo of me and Mom on it taken in 2001 I think) -- that my grandfather loved to nap on. I actually spent a weekend sleeping there when we went down to surprise them for their 60th wedding anniversary. It was surprisingly comfy.

They gave up their home 3 years ago when they moved north to be closer to us. Quite a change in lifestyle, but we all think - for the best. Grandma and Papa get to see us on a regular basis and they get to watch Jocelyn grow up.

And if you ask my grandmother what she misses most about living in Florida... she'll probably say "Everything!" But I once asked my grandfather what he misses most - and he said... "my window seat."

So when I sat down with the builder who is constructing Jocelyn's new playroom, I asked him for one small favor; Build my grandfather a window seat so he can take a nap on it.

We call it Papa's Place - and it sure looks like it'll be the perfect spot for a nappy-poo! Papa, we hope you'll have the honors of breaking it in in a month or two!

(Stop crying mom!)

1 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Stacey, what a great story and a wonderful tribute to your grandfather.

It isn't often these days that kids get to know their great grandparents so I think that window seat will be a special place for your papa and your daughter to create memories that Jocelyn will remember for her lifetime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home